Monday 19 May 2008

Karaoke competition


I was asked by a local pub the Kings Arms to judge a karaoke competition on Saturday night which I agreed to do - you've got to try anything once.

I thought that I would have to listen to the singers and then just give them marks. But no. The whole evening was very professionally organised.It was set out like X factor. There were three judges of which I was one, a representative from the brewery and a Kylie Minogue look a like ( see photo) who was a professional singer. There were 6 competitors each of whom had two songs to sing. and then each judge had to give his/her opinion in front of the contestant and the whole pub - just like X factor. At first this was very nerve wracking but gradually we all got into to it. Interestingly enough the Simon Cowell of the group was Kylie - me and the other guy were far too nice to rip into the singers when they were standing in front of us.

When I heard karaoke I expected to hear some very ropey singers - but I was pleasantly surprised. Everyone of them could sing well and it was very difficult to pick a winner.

In the end after a sing off we chose two winners who are now going to Birmingham for the national finals. I wish them all the best and if they happen to read this please contact me I would like photos of them for the blog

And thanks to Lynn,the landlady for a splendid evening.

No comments: