Wednesday 11 February 2009

CCTV cameras Ashton town centre

As was reported on this blog in December the new Christmas tree was vandalised not long after the lights were switched on.

Naturally I was very disappointed that a) someone would want to destroy something that should give pleasure to many people and b) the fact that no-one was prosecuted for that act of vandalism despite it happening in the middle of the town centre in a spot where the CCTV cameras could have been used to identify the culprits.

Since then I have visited Central Watch where all the images from the CCTV cameras can be seen from across the Borough. I have also been photographed by the CCTV cameras in Ashton town centre to find out for myself what the quality of the pictures taken at night time is like.

As a result of the above I have suggested that the following steps are taken for next year.

1. Central Watch will be notified well in advance of the switch on and I will be asking for constant monitoring of the tree using the moving camera. The reason for this is my picture taken from the moving camera was extremely clear and I was easily identifiable but the picture taken from the static camera was not so clear:

2.I have requested the lighting in front of the library to be upgraded.

I hope these two measures will prevent a repeat of last year's unfortunate occurrence.

.

No comments: