Monday 27 April 2009

University of the Third Age

Last week I was invited to attend the inaugural meeting of the Ashton and District branch of the University of the Third Age at the YMCA in Hilton Street. The event was very well attended and I am sure there will be enough enthusiasm to make it a success in the long run.

The U3a, as it is known, is a life-long co-operative for older people who are no longer in full time work. It provides opportunities to share learning experiences in a wide range of interests - pursuing learning not for exams or qualifications but for fun and mutual benefit. (It reminds me very much of when I was at university in the 60s - how I got a degree I will never know.)

To give a flavour of what you can expect if you join here some examples of sessions held at a neighbouring group:

1. short walks

2. singing for fun

3. tap dancing

4. theatre visits

5. wine tasting

6. theology and philosophy

These are just a few of many classes being held.

If any reader wants to know more details about the U3a as it is known then they can log on to www.u3a.org.uk

No comments: