Sunday 6 April 2008

Local Elections May 1st 2008 - voter apathy

I have neglected the blog recently because as from last Friday we are now in an election period and as agent for seven wards I have been making sure that all the papers and election materials are ready. An agent's worst nightmare is to be told that he has not handed in the correct papers on time and his party will not be represented in a particular ward.

The local Labour Party has been and will be working hard to get elected as no doubt have all the other parties involved in this election. It is a pity really that 60 to 70 percent of the electorate won't bother to vote on May 1st.

I would like to hear if you will or will not be voting and the reasons why.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nigel, yes I will be voting because I believe it to be a part of my civic duty.However, I can understand why people don't vote. As someone who is interested in politics I believe there is too little difference between the main three parties in terms of policy, if you believe there is no choice then why vote at all? One party comes out with a policy and the other two main parties usually follow suit within days.

At a local level in too many areas there isn't a real contest as such.I understand it is difficult getting candidates and even harder raising funds to produce then deliver leaflets etc.I usually vote Labour and probably will again unless an independent comes along, the liberals don't work the ward, Tories i'm not yet sure about and I find CAP too interested in personalities.

So in short I can understand why people don't vote, my kids who are in their twenties get fed up with me nagging them about how important it is to vote.That's a worrying sign for the future.

Anonymous said...

I will be voting Green at the Council elections. It is rather indicative of where new Labour is when it can double the tax on the lowest paid and block any move on the Non Doms