Sunday 9 May 2010

Post election thoughts 1

Of course I am delighted with the result from Friday but it was a very close run thing.

I would like to thank the Community Action Party for running a clean and I must say very effective campaign. To get a candidate who is virtually unknown in Ashton - please do not read this as a criticism just a fact - to within 200 votes of winning the seat is an achievement which I, as a seasoned election campaigner, must acknowledge. There was one point during Friday when I thought I was going to lose the seat.

I would like to thank the Independents for fielding a candidate but that's all. I hoped that this campaign would be a clean one but I was not impressed by the last minute flier put out in Ashton and the description of Ann Rampling in their material put around Bryn. The Labour Party will remember this for future elections.

I would like to thank the Conservative candidate Malcolm Childs for a pleasant conversation on election night and the BNP candidate for doing absolutely nothing during the campaign and sparing the good people of Ashton from having to read the obnoxious guff that emanates from this now irrelevant party.

4 comments:

Leigh, Lancashire Nationalist said...

"...and the BNP candidate for doing absolutely nothing during the campaign and sparing the good people of Ashton from having to read the obnoxious guff that emanates from this now irrelevant party....."

Sorry to be a damp squib Cllr.Ash..but, in the European Elections of last year 7,517 Wigan borough inhabitants voted for the BNP: add all the votes for the BNP candidates in this years local Elections across the borough and it equated to 9,116!! A sizeable increase in anyone's book I would say for "this now irrelevant party".

You just keep kidding yourself!

Anonymous said...

Nigel, Thanks for your gracious comments regarding my campaign. As for being relativley new, yes I am to local politics, but definatley not new in campaigning for improving Ashton. Thank you too for running a clean campaign, it was fairly fought between ourselves, although that cannot be said for others.
Joanne Bradley

Anonymous said...

Could you please remind us how many seats the BNP gained in Barking and Dagenham? How many MPs do the BNP have?

"This now irrelevant party" is an accurate description. In fact, I could think of a few other accurate descriptions...

Leigh, Lancashire Nationalist said...

If we are so an "irrelevant" political party then why did this sour council spent precious local taxpayers money on special meetings and seminars on how to combat the rise of the BNP in Wigan Borough? Only to see the Wigan BNP vote once again increase considerably.

Are we that irrelevant I ask?